Internships are important if you want your resume to be stronger when compared to other candidates. There is no doubt that interning with a reputed company has its own advantages but did you know there is a lot to be gained even if you intern at a smaller company or a start up?
Here are some of the benefits of choosing a startup internship offer:
- Learn anything and everything: In start-ups, every employee in the team is treated equally. In the early stage, start-up is valuable and every member of the team is of importance, including the interns. As an intern, you stand a better chance of getting to work on various projects, adding more value to the team.
- Get an opportunity to learn how companies work: As an intern in a large company, you might not get the required exposure. You will get to do very little as there may be a large number of interns as well as employees present already. But if you work in a start-up, you will be exposed to all aspects of the business.
- Choosing a career path: Internships in India have become quite popular because if you are not sure what you want to achieve professionally, it can help you make a choice. You will be open to explore different areas in order to chalk out what interests you.
- Quick with adaptation: Compared to large companies, there are no set of rules or order of work in start-ups which makes it a flexible work environment where even interns are encouraged to try new things.
- Networking: Start-ups can make interns meet professionals. Many start-ups have the potential to become big companies. These talented people can act as a guide and also help you in getting a job.
Have you been planning to work at a startup? If the answer is yes, it is better to start with an internship to gain first-hand experience. Just make sure that you choose a company that values your skills and gives you the compensation you deserve. Compensation can either be money or training.
- There are several benefits of startup internships. Whether you want to start your own company or you want to excel in a specific field, startup internship will help you try out your future career path. Even if you are not sure about what you want to do, working at a small, growing company will give you the required clarity. It will help you observe different facets of a business and prepare you for working at a larger organization.
- There is no doubt that it can be difficult to find a good start-up internship offer. This is because startup companies don’t have the resources to send recruitment teams to college fairs. However, this doesn’t mean you cannot find a good opportunity. You need to keep looking for the right option. Firstly, you need to start identifying the best start-ups where you can work as an intern. It is recommended to work for a company that you are passionate about and not just any random firm.
- You need to be proactive, reaching out and introducing yourself to companies of your choice, even if they are not offering any internship programs. Explain why you would want to work for them and also share your skills and experience so that they get to see what role you can play at the company.
So what are you waiting for? Create your summer internship 2017 plan today and start getting in touch with companies of your choice.