There are many college students who graduate but they don’t get a job because employers disdain their lack of work experience. This is the reason why it is important for college students to complete at least one internship program in order to learn new skills and gain relevant experience.
Here are some of the reasons why internships for college students are a must:
- A growing number of employers are now hiring fresh candidates for jobs only if they come with some experience. Majority of employers say that candidate experience is a vital factor in making hiring decisions. Most companies want new-grad experience to come from co-op programs or internships. If you are a college student looking for an internship opportunity, you will surely enjoy a competitive edge over your classmates who haven’t interned.
- Many employers see internship programs as the best way of hiring entry-level candidates. So working as an intern will not only help you learn new skills but also open new avenues for a job. Small as well as large companies across the globe are realizing the importance of internship programs in producing high quality candidates.
- Whether you do full time or part time internship, it will help you get paid more when you graduate and find a job. According to employment surveys, employers that hire entry-level candidates with internship/co-op experience are paid at least 5 to 6 times more than those without experience.
- Internships will help you earn college credit towards your degree. There are many colleges that provide credit for eligible internships. You can consult your career-service office or faculty adviser to know more about your college or school’s major-department policies.
- You get to test a career plan through internship. If you join an industry of your choice as an intern, you can find out whether or not it is meant for you. Interning will help you take a test drive and decide if you want to be in a certain field. You will not only decide on a career plan but also get valuable understanding of the major field. It will become easy for you to grasp your coursework. Also, if there are any gaps in classroom learning and the real world learnings, then internship will help fill this gap effectively.
- Skill development is one of the most important reasons why college students should pursue internships with a reputed company. Even if you have the interpersonal skills that employers are looking for, internship will help you sharpen those skills because you will get to interact with experts in a professional environment. You will also learn skills related to communication, leadership, problem solving and so on.
- As a future employee, you will gain a lot of confidence because you will get to know how a professional work environment functions. You will become more confident to face the real world when finding a job. It will help you learn work habits and become more motivated.